Men’s soccer team kick-starts Iowa Conference play

photos by Jonathan Quinn

After four more nonconference games, the men’s soccer team sits at 4-2. Traveling to Minnesota, the Duhawks secured two wins against St. Olaf and St. John’s. However, here at home, they split between No. 3-ranked University of Chicago and No. 18 Carthage College.

On Sept. 9, the team went out to Northfield, MN, for a nonconference matchup against St. Olaf. While the Duhawks statistically forced the advantage with more shots on goal (7-5) and corners (8-5) than St. Olaf, neither teams scored within the 90 minute time frame, pushing the game into overtime. Fortunately, 46 seconds into overtime, senior mid-fielder Chris Alfaro found the net, securing the 1-0 victory to the Duhawks.

The Duhawks concluded their nonconference weekend match-ups against Saint John’s University in Collegeville, MN. At the 21st minute in the first half, sophomore forward Alex Herrera made his way around his defender and was fouled in the box. Junior mid-fielder Javier Simon converted the penalty kick to a 1-0 lead. The Duhawks were able to hold on to the lead through the second half, allowing another victory. Senior goal-keeper Jacob Peterson had an effective weekend with back to back shut-outs.

On Wednesday, Sept. 13, the No. 3 University of Chicago men’s soccer team came to the Rock Bowl to take on the Duhawks. Chicago started strong scoring in the sixth minute. Both teams were going back and forth, however Chicago started the second half strong as well and scored in the 45th minute. The Duhawks battled back forcing six corner kicks and 18 shots. However, their efforts fell short allowing Chicago to score their third goal in the last 10 seconds of the match. Despite the loss, Peterson reached a season high of eight saves, including a penalty kick.

“I never say I had a good game or bad game. It’s a team game for me,” said Peterson.

On Sunday, Sept. 17, No. 18 Carthage College from Kenosha, WI, came to the Rock Bowl for a non-conference match up. In the first half, the Duhawks started strong with a header by Simon in the seventh minute. Simon was assisted by senior forward Spencer Moore. In the 34th minute, sophomore forward Herrera made his first goal of the season, assisted by junior forward Raudel Fierro.

In the start of the second half, the Redman attempted a quick start but the Duhawks quickly countered allowing sophomore Mark Broderick to score in the 56th minute. Broderick was assisted by junior forward Ryan Ross and senior defender Mike Perhats. A foul in the Redman’s penalty box quickly followed, favoring the Duhawks. Simon converted the penalty kick into a goal, pushing a 4-0 lead in the 57th minute.

The strong lead allowed for some non-starters to play. Carthage’s players couldn’t find a rhythm, allowing the Duhawks to take down the No. 18 team at home.

“We spent a lot of time working on our offensive output, combining our midfielders and forwards and finding the right combinations,” said Head Coach Dan Rothert. “It looked like it worked a little bit today, but we got to keep it going.”

The men’s soccer team starts their conference play Saturday night against University of Dubuque at the Rock Bowl at 7:30 p.m.

Google+ Linkedin

Written By :

Jon is currently a junior who is double-majoring in Media Studies and Public Relations. He is heavily involved at Loras as a campus photographer, residential adviser, and a sports editor for the school newspaper, The Lorian.

Leave a Reply