11 things to do when you are feeling down
There are many reasons why you may be feeling down, especially in college. It is important to remember to take care of yourself. Here are a few ideas for when you feel down.
- Watch a feel-good movie. This can be anything from your favorite childhood movie, to a horror movie of your choice, or even watching Mamma Mia 2 for the 100th time. Whatever floats your boat.
- Go for a walk or hike. This is a really good time of year to get out and explore. You can go alone or with a group of friends, it’s up to you, just stay safe. My personal favorite place in Dubuque is the Mines of Spain.
- Experiment with a new recipe. Whether you will be baking or cooking, trying a new recipe can help you relieve stress. Even if you fail it can still be a great time.
- Try journaling. Writing about how you feel or something you’ve been worrying about can be a huge help. It’s a nice way to get things off your chest while remaining in your comfort zone. If you don’t like writing, try drawing or coloring.
- Listen to music. It is probably a go-to for a lot of people, but this really does help. If you want to listen to sad songs go for it. If you want to jam out to the Backstreet Boys, do it. Nobody will stop you.
- Take a nap. If you feel tired or drained, just sleep. Odds are as a college student you are lacking sleep, and a little nap can go a long way.
- Give someone a hug. This is good stuff, especially when it’s cold out. This is my personal favorite when it feels like my world is falling apart. And it’s comforting to be smothered in affection when suffocating in stress.
- Eat something. Remember this is just as important as everything else. Don’t forget to eat and drink water throughout the day, especially if you haven’t.
- Call or text someone. Chatting with someone can be really nice. It can be your best friend at another school or to your dad, whoever you want. Just talking can be calming. Points if you are in person rather than calling.
- Pamper yourself. Take a shower or bath. Do a facemask. Do your makeup. Paint your nails. Get a massage.
- Be Kind. You will be truly amazed at how far a simple act can go. I found this quote that fits this quite well, “Ah, Kindness. What a simple way to tell another struggling soul that there is love to be found in this world.”