11 Ways to Stay Finals-Focused When Summer’s Coming
We’re all ready for the school year to be over and for summer to start. Unfortunately, this is also the time of year when we have to be on our academic A-game as finals loom over us like a rain cloud on a sunny day. Here are a few ways to stay sane while studying:
1. Create your to-do list. Prioritize your work based on which tests and projects are the most important to your final grade, and make sure you’re spreading out your study time to avoid cramming before the big day.
2. Reward yourself for getting stuff done. It’s basic psychology. If you know there’s a reward involved, you’re more motivated to finish your work. Beechers ice cream, anyone?
3. Pet a puppy. With all the nice weather coming up, it’s not uncommon to see Loras students out and about with their furry pals. Take a moment and de-stress a little with some puppy love!
4. Exercise. Although it might be easier to sit in the library and pound through that project you have to do for class, make sure you’re not sitting on your butt for too long. Everyone knows that productivity increases with physical exercise!
5. Get enough sleep. If you’re studying long into the night, make sure you make up for all that lost sleep by sleeping more the next night or even taking a quick power nap the next day. You’ll have so much more energy to get through the rest of your studying!
6. Choose your caffeine wisely. Okay, yes, I know not everyone is going to get enough sleep. This is why coffee exists. Iced latte, anyone?
7. Study outside. Grab a blanket and a couple of friends, and bring your books outside. All the Vitamin D will be great for your mood and you won’t feel like you’re missing out on the great weather!
8. Laugh more. When finals are hitting hard, it’s very easy to become a stress-monster. If you catch yourself feeling a little cranky, put the brakes on studying and find a few friends to brighten your spirits.
9. Turn off your phone. Although your friends are important for your sanity this week, make sure you’re not too distracted by them when you actually need to get stuff done. Unplug yourself from social media and you’ll be amazed by how much more productive you will be!
10. Take a deep breath. It’s already starting to smell like summer outside. You’re so close to being done with the school year, and a three-month break from class is a great incentive to finish out the year strong!
11. Keep perspective! Finals week is 4 days out of approximately 29,000 days that we will be alive. Yes, finals are important for your grade, but in the big picture, remember there are much more important things to stress about!