Unlike most high school first dates that are spent sitting in a dark theater bumping sweaty hands in the popcorn bucket, college dating is a whole other game. And no, ‘Netflix and chill’ is not an option. Below we have a few date suggestions for you fellas and ladies to take the guy or gal you fancy on, right here in Dubuque.
1. Get some waffles and a coffee at Sunshine Family Restaurant or Burnt Toast – if you’re a morning person. Otherwise, this may not be the most ideal date, but keep reading because we’ve got loads more.
2. Go for a picnic at Eagle Point Park or Mines of Spain. There’s really nothing better than the great outdoors, good conversation and sharing your food with some woodland creatures.
3. Grab a cup of coffee, tea or a craft beer (if you’re of age of course) at Monk’s on Bluff Street. The hipster scene can be a great conversation starter, leading to topics like music, film, books and other interests.
4. Scoop up the “Two for One Night” at Cold Stone on Tuesdays. It’s not a hard decision to make. I mean, c’mon. One cup of ice cream is free. Self-explanatory.
5. Vinny Vanucchi’s (Dubuque Main Street or Galena location) – good solid Italian comfort food. You can reenact that romantic moment in “Lady and the Tramp,” and nudge the last meatball over with your nose. Cayute!
6. Stargazing in Faber-Clarke – all you need for this date idea is a comfy blanket and some snacks
* Step it up and impress your date by downloading the free app called Sky View on your smartphone, it maps out the constellations for you
7. Head over to the art collective in the warehouse district. It’ll be a good way to get to know each other while also acting like you know what nine blue splotches on a canvas mean.
8. Check out the Farmers’ Market on Saturday mornings downtown. Buy some local veggies and make a meal together. You can show your culinary skills or lack thereof and just have a chill night in.
9. Get a cupcake at Candle Ready Cakes. Nothing says “I’m interested” like a crap ton of sugar.
10. Play with some puppies or kittens at the Humane Society. Those cuties could melt anyone. And while you’re at it, you might as well take a few home.
11. If you’re really out of ideas and can only think of the movies, at least do it right and catch a flick and some hot chocolate at Mindframe Theater.